Suisman Shaprio | Attorneys At Law
Suisman Shaprio | Attorneys At Law
The Largest Law Firm in Eastern Connecticut
Phones Answered 24 Hours A Day
A 75 Year Tradition of Innovation and Commitment to Excellence

Hurt on the job? Get the care you need immediately

On Behalf of | Feb 21, 2019 | Workers' Compensation

You love your job, but you don’t love that you were hurt while working. You’d planned to go on vacation shortly after your injury, but now you’re trapped between hospital appointments and physical therapy dates.

You are not alone in this situation. Many people find themselves victims of workplace accidents. Even those working in offices or “less dangerous” occupations can find that they’ve fallen victim to workplace hazards.

What should you do if you have a sudden injury on the job?

To start with, you should let your employer or those around you know if you have to seek medical attention. For example, if your employer is not in the office but you get hurt, you can tell your co-workers and leave to seek treatment. You should then inform your employer as soon as possible, knowing that your co-workers may do so as well.

After you seek medical care, you will need to provide your employer with some information about the accident, so that they can submit it to the workers’ compensation insurance provider. Most employers have people fill out simple forms for submission. The claim, if approved, covers your initial medical appointment as well as any further medical care you need. If you can’t work, it may also cover lost wages and support you may need if you are going through training for a new position when the time comes.

Workers’ compensation is more than medical coverage. Talk to your employer about the benefits offered and how to get the most out of your claim. If your employer won’t help, your attorney can guide you on the steps to take.

FindLaw Network