Suisman Shapiro, Attorneys at Law
More than 75 years ago, the firm now known as Suisman Shapiro was a partnership of three general practice attorneys who provided excellent legal representation to individuals and businesses in the New London area.
Today Suisman Shapiro, the largest law firm in eastern Connecticut, has more than 40 employees including 18 attorneys, and remains committed to providing the same high level of service. At our law firm, each client works with a team of professionals with extensive experience in the area of law involved.
By working in practice groups focused on specific areas of the law, our attorneys are able to offer clients the best representation possible.
Our Practice Areas
Suisman Shapiro handles a full range of legal matters including the following:
- Personal injury: Handling claims and lawsuits, including those following car and truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, or involving injuries or loss due to other careless acts, including inadequate security, manufacture of dangerous and defective products and medical malpractice.
- Workers’ Compensation: Representing those injured on the job or unable to work due to partial or permanent disability with claims, litigation and appeals.
- Social Security Disability (SSD): Representing clients who are unable to work due to a physical or mental health impairment.
- Family law: Handling all aspects of family law, including divorce, custody, child support, spousal support and property division.
- Criminal defense: Defending clients against charges such as DUI (drunk driving) and other motor vehicle violations, juvenile crimes, theft, assault, homicide and white collar crimes.
- Estate planning, elder law and probate: Establishing wills, living wills, medical directives, powers of attorney and trusts. Guiding clients through all aspects of the probate process.
- Real estate: Negotiating and drafting sale and purchase contracts, representing clients in boundary disputes, commercial leases and other real estate law matters.
- Bankruptcy: Handling Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy filings and debt re-organization.
- Corporate and commercial law: Assisting partnerships, corporations and limited liability companies (LLCs) with formation, business contracts, finance, mergers, acquisitions and other business law matters.
- Labor and employment Law (Employer): Counseling public, private and nonprofit employers to ensure compliance with state and federal employment laws. Preparation of job descriptions, policies and handbooks, and representation in administrative agency and court proceedings in all areas of employment law, including wages, benefits, unemployment, discrimination, leave and disability.
- Employment Law (Employee): Assisting and representing individuals with workplace issues such as negotiation of severance and settlement agreements, evaluation and processing of hostile work environment and discrimination complaints, wrongful termination issues and determination of eligibility for leave, disability and unemployment benefits. Negotiation of collective bargaining agreements, grievance arbitrations, and handling of unfair labor practices.
- Municipal Law: Representing municipalities, municipal boards, commissions and agencies, and quasi-public agencies before local, state and federal agencies and courts in matters such as land use and zoning, tax appeals and foreclosures. Advising municipalities on matters including charter interpretation, development of ordinances, evaluation of construction contracts, bid documents and leases, and compliance with freedom of information laws.
- Insurance law: Often insurance companies either deny claims or do not handle them with the promptness and diligence that their policy holders deserve and are entitled to. Our insurance attorneys fight on behalf of policy holders to obtain the benefits of the insurance policies that they have dutifully paid for.
- Admiralty and maritime law: Representing injured shipyard workers, dock workers and others whose injury claims fall under admiralty and maritime law. Admiralty concepts may also apply to nonoccupational injuries involving pleasure craft
Whatever legal problem you face, our lawyers are prepared to handle your case with the utmost care and attention to detail.
Contact Our New London Law Firm Today
We invite you to contact our firm online or by telephone at 860-364-6937 to learn more about how we can serve your needs. For your convenience, we accept all major credit cards. We represent clients throughout eastern Connecticut, including Norwich, Groton and throughout New London, Middlesex and Windham Counties.