Suisman Shaprio | Attorneys At Law
Suisman Shaprio | Attorneys At Law
The Largest Law Firm in Eastern Connecticut
Phones Answered 24 Hours A Day
A 75 Year Tradition of Innovation and Commitment to Excellence

What if I got in an accident with an uninsured driver?

On Behalf of | Jul 28, 2021 | Car Accidents

Everyone needs auto insurance to drive in Connecticut legally. However, some people still drive without auto insurance. If an uninsured driver hits you, you don’t need to worry about paying for the accident’s expenses because Connecticut requires that your insurance plan includes uninsured motorist coverage (UMC).

UMC in Connecticut

The state of Connecticut requires all drivers to have auto insurance that includes UMC. UMC will pay for your bodily injuries and the damages to your car if the driver at fault does not have insurance coverage. UMC also covers the expenses of an accident in which the driver at fault had insurance, but the total damages exceed their insurance plan.

Coverage amounts

Legally, you must have a minimum UMC of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for bodily injuries. These funds can pay for your and your passenger’s injuries. Additionally, your UMC must pay $25,000 for your car’s damages.

Some accidents may exceed the standard coverage set by the state. That is why insurance companies must offer you different UMC options when you buy your insurance plan. If you chose a reduced premium, you might not get full coverage of your expenses if the accident and injuries were severe.

Valuable coverage

It is vital to have insurance because you can protect yourself and those you love the most in an unpredictable accident. If you do have insurance and got in an accident with an uninsured driver, you have the right to get coverage for your recovery.

If the insurance company denies your claim, you can sue them or demand arbitration within three years after the accident. You have paid for your insurance, and you have the right to use its coverage when needed.

FindLaw Network