Suisman Shaprio | Attorneys At Law
Suisman Shaprio | Attorneys At Law
The Largest Law Firm in Eastern Connecticut
Phones Answered 24 Hours A Day
A 75 Year Tradition of Innovation and Commitment to Excellence

4 things to consider in a divorce with kids

On Behalf of | Mar 13, 2023 | Divorce

Divorce involving kids can be more difficult. It can be hard for parents to watch their kids go through different emotions and significant life changes, especially when they are younger. However, if you and your spouse have irreconcilable issues and have decided to go for a divorce, you can help your kids cope better with divorce.

Below are four things to consider to help you achieve that:

1. The primary residence

If you and your spouse can agree on who gets physical custody, you may not need to go to court. You can choose a primary home, and the kids can visit the other parent on a determined schedule. 

2. The school systems

If your kids remain in the family home, they may not need to transfer schools. However, if they are moving with one of you to a different location, you should find a new school in the area. However, if you get physical custody, you may move with the kids in the same district to avoid transferring schools. Staying in a familiar environment can help them.

3. The ages of the children

How you approach a divorce with kids may depend on age. A parenting plan of a teenager differs from that of a six-year-old. How your kids respond to the divorce may also be determined by age. While toddlers may not understand it, school-aged kids will know what’s happening and ask questions. Thus, it will help to handle your kids and talk to them with their ages in mind.

4. Future goals and flexibility

You should plan for the future of your kids. For instance, the current parenting plan will need to change when they get older and so on. Thus, you should have a flexible agreement that caters to future needs.

Being prepared can help you have a more manageable divorce with children. You should also make informed decisions to protect your parental rights.  

FindLaw Network