Attorney James (Jay) Berryman is a Director who concentrates in Workers’ Compensation Law and Social Security Disability claims. He is a member of the Connecticut Bar and the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, and handles claims under both the Connecticut Workers’ Compensation Act and the Federal Longshore Act. Mr. Berryman is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame and Columbus School of Law.
Attorney Berryman was named by “Benchmark Plaintiff” magazine as a Local Litigation Star, and his department at Suisman Shapiro Attorneys-at-Law was selected by the U.S. News - Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” among all law firms in Connecticut for Workers’ Compensation – Claimants since 2013. The U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” rankings are based on a rigorous national evaluation process that includes the collection of client and lawyer evaluations, peer review from leading attorneys in their field, and review of additional information provided by law firms as part of the formal submission process. Since 2019, Attorney Berryman has been recognized by Super Lawyers® for Workers’ Compensation law; no more than five percent of the lawyers in the state are selected for this honor.
Jay Berryman is a sustaining member of NOSSCR (National Association of Social Security Claimant’s Representatives), and has given numerous seminars throughout the years on issues in the Connecticut Workers’ Compensation forum. He has also appeared on the News Talk 104.7 FM WXLM’s Lee Elci Show as an expert on Workers’ Compensation issues.
As one example of his work, in the notable case of Brent Cugini v. Electric Boat, Attorney Berryman won a major claim for his client who was awarded total disability benefits continuing into the future as a result of harassment by co-workers.
Jay Berryman and his family reside in Old Lyme, Connecticut. In addition to serving as a spokesperson and volunteering for the Notre Dame Club of Southeastern Connecticut, he is actively involved in many community programs throughout the region. In 2011, the Lyme-Old Lyme Little League honored Jay Berryman with the prestigious Steve Shaw Award for his “Distinguished Service.” Every December, Jay and his staff “Adopt-A-Family” for The Neighborhood Alliance of New London. He has also represented the firm as a sponsor of the Healthy Habits Showcase held at Mohegan Sun to benefit the Gemma Moran United Way Food Center, among several other not-for-profit events and activities.
Areas of Practice
- Workers' Compensation
- Social Security Disability
- Asbestos Litigation / Mesothelioma
- Connecticut, 1983
- Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1982
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana
- B.A. - 1979
- Brent Cugini v. Electric Boat
Honors and Awards
- Named by “Benchmark Plaintiff” magazine as a Local Litigation Star
- Selected by the 2013-21 Editions of U.S. News - Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”
- Recognized by Super Lawyers® for Workers’ Compensation Law since 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New London County Bar Association, Member
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Member
- National Association of Social Security Claimants Representatives, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Connecticut Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member