United Way bestows honor on Suisman Shapiro and its employees as Law Firm of the Year
Mohegan – United Way of Southeastern Connecticut presented its highest honor, the Chairman’s Award of Excellence, to Mohegan Sun and its employees last Friday, during the organization’s annual Campaign Celebration at Mohegan Sun.
More than 350 community leaders attended the event, which recognized businesses and groups that ran outstanding fundraising campaigns and volunteered year-round on behalf of United Way.
In honor of Mohegan Sun’s 20th anniversary last October, casino employees held 20 Day of Caring volunteer projects throughout the community. Mohegan Sun employees served as volunteer readers, distributed food each month at United Way’s mobile pantry, helped out at the Gemma E. Moran United Way/Labor Food Center, distributed toys at the Tommy Toy Fund and served on many United Way committees.
Other high honors were presented to Electric Boat and the EB Employees’ Community Services Association as Community Leader of the Year, NLC Insurance Companies as United Way Partner of the Year, and Heart of the Community to Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation/Foxwoods Resort Casino.
United Way Campaign Co-chairmen Nikki Gullickson, assistant superintendent of Stonington schools, and Donna Yother, president of SAVA Insurance Group in Waterford, announced that $4,693,643 was raised.
Co-chairmen of 2017-18 United Way Campaign are Nadine McBride, publisher of The Bulletin, and William Louis, president of MDA-UAW Local 571.
Other awards presented at the event were:
- Innovation Award – Zachry Nuclear Engineering
- Coordinator of the Year – Bonnie Marson, Mohegan Sun
- School Coordinator of the Year – Nikki Gullickson, Stonington schools
- School Partner of the Year – Norwich Public Schools
- New Coordinator of the Year – Cheryl Harder, Amgraph
- Corporate Support of the Year – Freeport-McMoRan
- Campaign Volunteer of the Year – Sherri Biro
- Special Recognition for Food Center Volunteer – Elmer Taylor
- Food Center Volunteer of the Year – Maria Loss
- Community Investment Volunteers of the Year – Chelsea Groton Bank
- Campaign Committee of the Year – Pfizer Inc.
- Employee Campaign Performance of the Year – Chelsea Groton Bank
- Volunteer Partner of the Year – Norwich Public Utilities
- Leadership Giving Campaign of the Year – Applied Physical Sciences
- Nonprofit Partner of the Year – UCFS
- Retail Partner of the Year – Stop & Shop
- Community Partner of the Year – City of Groton
- Town Partner of the Year – Ledyard
- Print Media Partner of the Year – The Day
- Radio Media Partner of the Year – Full Power Media
- Law Firm of the Year – Suisman Shapiro
- Bank Partner of the Year – Dime Bank
- New Partner of the Year – The Power of Together
- Labor Partnership Award – MDA-UAW Local 571, the Metal Trades Council of New London County, and Carpenters Local 1302
- School Campaign Committee of the Year – Montville Public Schools
- Agency Campaign Committee of the Year – Madonna Place
- Loyal Company of the Year – Charter Oak Federal Credit Union
- Small Business of the Year – Shipman’s Fire Equipment
- Agency Coordinators of the Year Award – Jack Malone and Pam Novick, SCADD
- Agency Speaker of the Year – Pamela Allen Kinder, UCFS
- Youth Engagement Award – St. Bernard School and students
- LIVE UNITED Award – SAVA Insurance Group
- Gemma E. Moran Inspiration Award – Mary LaMattina
- LIVE UNITED Award for Philanthropy – Carole Marks Scott
- Outstanding Achievement Awards – Comcast, Norwich Free Academy, and People’s United Bank